Friday, January 18, 2008

buckets of sh*t

Don't you just love scathing movie reviews?

Jeanne, the Assertive Cancer Patient turned me on to a terrific review of the Bucket List by Roger Ebert, who as a veteran movie critic and recent cancer survivor is doubly qualified to review this awful-sounding movie.

And Ebert does not mince words, in panning this flick:

'"The Bucket List" is a movie about two old codgers who are nothing like people, both suffering from cancer that is nothing like cancer, and setting off on adventures that are nothing like possible. I urgently advise hospitals: Do not make the DVD available to your patients; there may be an outbreak of bedpans thrown at TV screens.'

As Jeanne says in her post about the movie review, "Don't see this film but do read Ebert's review."

A second review, of Katherine Heigl's new vehicle, 27 Dresses, also landed in my inbox yesterday. By Ottawa Xpress reviewer Isa Tousignant, it was called, "Dressed Down" and subtitled, "Katherine Heigl loses her charm in chick-flick shit-brick 27 Dresses."

Try saying that ten times, quickly.

Tousignant condemns the movie for it's "complete and utter lack of chemistry between [Heigl] and James Marsden" as well as the "ineptitude of its premise."

The critic concludes by summing up the movie as follows:

'...107 long minutes of insulting, sexist, predictable, morally offensive schlock that made me want to jump off this planet for shame of sharing it with anyone who may find this cute.'

I don't think she liked it very much.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everybody has their own opinions, while some people will find both movies funny and appeling, the critics found them horrific, awful and idiotic...oh well!! they get paid to do that.

As for me until i see them i won't take any other person's view about them, but thanks for sharing. =0)

Anonymous said...

I love reading the the movie reviews over at the Boston Globe: Ty Burr and Wesley Morris are very good writers. I am very picky about what I watch, so their reviews are helpful; when they are panning a movie, it is entertaining to read!

Anonymous said...

Reviews are just that.. They are their opinions, and I usually take them as such!

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

I go my own way. My opinion is the prevailing opinion. I like Morgan Freeman and I like Jack--unless this is Pooty Tang 2, I will like it. Also who among us hasn't been a bridesmaid a time or two? Just the title alone makes me want to see it. The world is so ridiculously fucked up that a mindless movie might just be what the Dr. Ordered...me being the Dr. that is.

laurie said...

I have never been a bridesmaid, actually, nor did I have bridesmaids at my own wedding (I didn't wear white either and my father didn't 'give me away') so maybe this is something that I just don't get. I do find scathing reviews really fun to read, though.

And while I too like Jack and Morgan Freeman (especially MF), I find the idea of OK you have cancer and we know you have only a year to live but you'll feel terrific enough to do all this stuff to be frankly, offensive. I think Ebert nails the key problem with this movie.

Anonymous said...

Wow...ouch. That last one is a really painful review. I must admit, Katherine Heigl's new flick looks awful. My mom just saw the Bucket flick and she actually liked it. Though...she doesn't get to movies very often. :)

Anonymous said...

My DH and I just got back from seeing Cloverfield. UGH!!!!! In my opinion it was HORRIBLE!! If we weren't there with another couple I would have walked out! I am going to read what the critics say about this one.

Thanks for your post...

Anonymous said...

I saw the bucket list. It wasn't that horrible..not that Great either.