Friday, October 21, 2011

going away

Later this morning, my dog and I are going off on an adventure.

We're taking the train to Toronto and then piling into a van with two big Labradors and one of the people I love the most in the world. We'll drive several hours in a northerly direction and then we'll take a boat to a quiet island.

For several days, we will eat, talk, walk, read, I will knit and we will talk some more (or at least the humans will. The dogs will join in the walking part and will do their own share of eating). We will be completely off the grid.

On Thursday, we will pack up our gear into the boat and reverse the process to travel home.

This is the second time we have done this (although the first time for Lucy, my Tibetan Terrier). Last year, I had been teetering on the edge of a depression and came home feeling restored. This year, I'm in a much better space and absolutely giddy with anticipation.

There are lots of potential challenges - last year the boat wouldn't start but we were able to find the home of the guy who rents some. Whatever, comes up, though, we will have each other and some good stories to tell.

See you on the other side.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

That sounds wonderful! Enjoy.

nancyspoint said...

Laurie, Your trip sounds wonderful. I love going places where I can take my dogs. Enjoy. I'm really glad you are in a better place this year. Also, thanks for your lovely comment on my mets day post. Hope you get lots of talking and knitting done!

CancerCultureChronicles said...

Have fun Laurie! This sounds like the perfect getaway.

alternative cancer treatments said...

Hey, your schedules sounds cool. Wish you a wonderful trip and waiting to know your after experiences in upcoming posts. :)

Tami Boehmer said...

Hey, I saw your name on the Most Influential Breast Cancer blogger list and thought I'd stop by. Seems we have some things in common. Have fun on your trip!

Bruce said...

Thanks for sharing this blog with us.
All about breast cancer

Beth L. Gainer said...

Fantastic-sounding trip! I hope it is so relaxing. Have you ever read "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck? It's a really good book by the author about his travels with his dog.

MoninaW said...

I am just catching up on blogs now but I hope the last week has been restful, peaceful and everything you had hoped it would be. Much love, my friend.

laurie said...

Thanks to all! It was a wonderful week. I missed this space though - and all of you, my friends and fellow travelers.