Tuesday, May 03, 2011

not really the end

Did you know that the world is going to end on May 21st, 2011? I saw a guy on a street corner today with a sign that said just that. And then I saw a big-ass caravan with the same message.

Contemplation of our impending collective doom helps to put yesterday's election into perspective. It doesn't matter if the Conservatives were gifted with a whopping majority if none of us is going to live long enough to deal with the consequences. There must be more of these end of the world types than I previously suspected. That would help me understand how it is that so many of us thought endorsing the Conservatives would be a good idea.

Or something. You'll have to forgive me, it's been a hell of a day. I stayed up way too late watching the election results and then stumbled around like a zombie all day. I'm delirious.

I even went across town to an appointment, only to discover that it's on Thursday.

It was a very odd feeling last night to watch the NDP take over 100 seats (the previous high having been 43) and not feel elated. Proud, yes but not elated. I just kept watching the Conservative and NDP numbers rise at the same time and feeling like my head was going to explode.

Those of us who oppose pettiness, meanness and bigotry and who support human rights and democracy (not to put too fine a point on things) have four years to get our act together. 

And I think we need to really start screeching about proportional representation.

Meanwhile, I really am thrilled that my party is going to be the Official Opposition. There is hope for the good guys (thanks, good guys, for working so hard to get yourselves and like-minded folk elected). I'm thankful to all the volunteers, staff and veteran politicians and candidates who worked so hard to make this happen.

And, even if I am slightly hysterical, I'm choosing to repeat the words of one of the surprised, young, brand new MPs from Quebec, "It's going to be all right."

3 comments:

Nili said...

glass half full, yes -- hooray for the NDP (and phooey to the rest)

Lene Andersen said...

Last week, I was reading the tweets from my MPP (Glen Murray) and he was congratulating his friends, NDP, Liberal and conservative alike for their hard work and for getting elected. He was entirely gracious and positive and it reminded me that we are all Canadians.

Harper might try to turn us into the Mini Me of the Bush years with their divisiveness, conflict and lack of understanding and Glen’s tweets made me remember that we have a choice. Regardless of who is in office, we can refuse anger, we can lead with kindness and we can remember that the people who voted for Harper are our neighbours. For me, this will be my opposition to Harper. To love my neighbour in spite of our PM trying to divide us.

JuliaR said...

Our 29th anniversary is May 21. I would appreciate it if the world would wait to end some other (later) year.

What I can't believe is that it has been 29 years.