Thursday, July 30, 2009

free to a good home (part 2)


A few weeks ago,
I wrote that I had an almost new prosthesis that I was seeking to re-home. This is what happened next:

Julia consulted other directors of Breast Cancer Action, who suggested that there might be a program to send prostheses to developing countries. She also called the social worker at the cancer centre who told her that Canadian Cancer Society takes donations (1745 Woodward Dr., Ottawa, ON K2C 0P9. 613-723-1744). I am so grateful to her for doing this.

Throws Like A Girl , who is part of our group at Mothers With Cancer, suggested that we need "a prosthesis relocation program."

Imstell jumped in with the following:

"Maybe we [Mothers With Cancer] could just host a bulletin board where people could post their needs:

FREE TO GOOD HOME Single 36C teardrop prosthesis. Likes to travel. You pay shipping.

WANTED swimming prosthesis. Any size large enough to hide my belly.

These had me laughing out loud but I think we might actually get something like this going.

Finally, Christine told me that she has a friend who lives locally, who was in need of a new prosthesis. It turned out to be a perfect fit.

Thanks to all who commented here, via email and on Facebook. You made me laugh. And you made me feel good about the power of community.

We are off to the maritimes tomorrow (if all goes well-it's a two-day drive with two kids and two dogs). I may be offline until August 12. I feel the withdrawal pangs starting already.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool! It is nice to think that you can hepl someone else out. I have a nice wig that I never wore that I would love to give to someone who needs it :)

laurie said...

i have a wig, too!

Christine said...

I saw Jill the other night and she was proudly showing off her new prothesis (through her sweater of course; we were in a restaurant!). She asked me to pass on her thanks to you Laurie and to let you know she is very happy and grateful to have a matching pair once again. :-)

Jill has a barely worn prothesis (wrong size) that she would like to pass on. More at http://chris-theedgeoflight.blogspot.com/2009/07/boob-adoptions.html.