Thursday, January 12, 2012

3 tips

I've been asked by BreastCancerAnswers.com to come up with three tips I'd like to share about going through breast cancer treatment. This poses an interesting challenge. I had to ask myself, "Out of all the good advice I've received and doled out, what three things have stayed with me? Living, as I have, in cancer treatment for 6 years, what is most important."


This is what I came up with:


1. Don't be too hard on  yourself and don't compare yourself to anyone else (why yes, this is one tip - the two statements go together, OK?). Just as every cancer is different, treatments vary widely and so do our responses. Just because that you've been told that Jane worked full time and ran 5k every day of treatment doesn't mean that you ought to be doing these things. And conversely, you don't have to become a shut in just because Jane chose to stay in bed for weeks at a time. Who knows? Jane's choices may have been made because of what other people told her she should be doing. Do what's right for you.


2. When in doubt, bring a friend. People like to be asked to do specific things to help friends and family going through treatment. Don't be afraid to ask for company. Some of the meds I take leave me so wobbly I couldn't make it home without assistance. But even if I feel fine, I've been very happy to have a friend with me to provide a distraction during treatment or be a second pair of ears during appointments.


3. Live in the moment. We all want and hope to put treatment behind us. It really helps me, though, to take a look around and see the things that are good in my life right now. This doesn't come easily to me. I'm someone who lived much of my life looking ahead. I'm working on identifying those things in my life that give me great joy - and then savouring them.


I think that's it. If you've been through cancer treatment, what three tips would you share?


7 comments:

Ann said...

Find where to get objective support - friends want to help but are sometimes stunned in to inaction because they are close to you.
Write a Blog - keeps others in touch without the 'phone ringing constantly and also allows you to let family and friends know how you are really feeling. Gives you a diary of events too.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - particularly of the medics involved. It is your body and your right to know what is happening to it and what they intend to do to help.

Beth said...

For me it has pray, pray, pray...
Pray for my healing...
Pray for others in similar difficulties
Pray for all the people praying for me.

Then Trust, trust, trust (even if sometimes I feel doubt creeping in) that everything will be alright.

And smile and let my heart feel joyful for all the little good things that cheers and reassures me. :)

breast cancer awareness said...

yes i love the first tip.. don't be too hard on your self.. when we start weakening our self about why it happens to us and all that creepy things comes in our head then problem start.

market research report said...

great tips...

Jillian said...

Hi, nice tips.. mine would be...
1. to always focus on the glass half full - what was good about the event, the cancer, the day, the whatever.
2 be proactive in managing side effects - take back some control... http://managesideeffectsofchemo.com/

tahera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

well your suggestions are really great.The most which I like is your first tip(don't compare urself to be anyone else)!!
Thanks for sharing such a awesome blog.
Buy Eyeglasses online