Saturday, December 10, 2011

Judy

I'm sure she did not "go gently into that good night." 


Judy was a fighter, a woman whose Facebook page stated "I love my life." And that was life centered around her family and friends, especially her 10 year old son and her husband.


I first met Judy (and I do feel like I knew her, even though we never met in person) when 20 or so women were brought together by Susan to form the group blog, Mothers With Cancer. It was clear from the outset that Judy  would become a particular friend.


She had a passionate sense of social justice, a dark sense of humour and a straightforward manner that endeared her to me immediately. Like me, she loathed the pinkwashing that takes place every October. We even both had dogs who were considered part of the family.


Judy never stopped being angry about cancer. She railed against the unfairness of a world that afflicts so many of us with this evil disease.


At the same time, she never stopped appreciating the beauty in the world around her - in her environment, at work and in her family and friends. She never stopped finding things about which to laugh.


It's because of Judy that I applied for Little Pink Houses. I know that her family's week with the organization was a glorious experience (and so was mine). We often said how great it would be to meet up in person. Jeanine from Pink Houses did meet both of us and told me she is confident that we would have liked each other as much in person as we did online.


Judy, my friend, I miss you already. My heart goes out to everyone who loves you, especially Nate and Frank. Many, many, many people mourn your loss and celebrate your life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend. She sounds like a spectacular person. Perhaps these words from Shakespeare (modified as the words applied to Romeo) apply:

"When she shall die, take her and cut her out in little stars and she will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun."

Beth L. Gainer said...

Please accept my condolences. Judy sounds like she was a wonderful person, and it was a gift that you too could connect.

I also lost a great friend to breast cancer, so I know how that feels.

Cancer sucks.