Tuesday, June 08, 2010

speaking to end breast cancer

In 2004, I participated in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer in Toronto.

In 2006, several women participated in Ottawa in my name.

Next week, I'll be speaking at a fundraiser for the same event (now called the Weekend to End Women's Cancers) in Montreal.

Sylvie Grégoire, a two-time breast cancer survivor is organizing the fundraiser luncheon. She was first diagnosed at 38 (the same age that I was at my own diagnosis) and had a local recurrence four years later. She's now, in her words, "healthy and happy!'

This will be the sixth time that Sylvie takes part in this 60 km, two-day event. I am so impressed by this achievement and thrilled to be given the chance to help (I'm also more than a little nervous. I need to speak for around thirty minutes. The thought is a little daunting).
You can contribute as well by making a donation. This is the link to Sylvie's personal page on the Weekend to End Women's Cancers web site.

And, experienced speakers out there, how many words is a thirty minute speech? Mr. Google is offering conflicting advice.


2 comments:

Nat said...

Depends on how fast you speak. You're going to have to time yourself.

laurie said...

i was afraid of that. i tend to write speeches in point form and then guess at the length (that's when their for me). and i never practice a speech verbatim ahead of time. then again, i've never had to speak for that long...