Tuesday, March 25, 2008

before i die

As part of an exercise I did last January, I wrote a list of things that I would like to do before I die.

Don't worry, I'm not being morbid nor have a received any bad news of late. It's an exercise that anybody could do, although it does feel more loaded now than it would have before I was diagnosed with cancer.

I re-read my list today and was surprised by it, even though I only wrote it two months ago.

The list contains things I feel I ought to do and things I fantasize about doing, things that are achievable (and that I will do) and things that probably fall under the category of pipe dream.

This is what I wrote, through stream of consciousness and completely uncensored:

Finish my queen-sized bed spread.

Write a novel.

Organize my house.

Travel with my kids.

Go back to school.

Run a marathon.

Participate in flyball or agility with a dog and my older son.

Get the message out re living long and well with metastatic cancer.

See the midnight sun again.

Go to Australia.

Become a soup-making expert.

Get more writing published.

What would be on your list?

7 comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Sister, this is heavy to think about. Hhmm I may make this my birthday post...May 2. That way I can really think about this a bit more.

So what have you done on your list? What are you going to do on your list? I would be interested in knowing.

Krissi said...

Your list is interesting :) I personally don't believe in "lists of things to do before I die"... mostly because somehow that then invites death to visit me before I've lived every day to it's fullest.

I've lived with chronic illness for most of my life and I found you on a similar 'health blog' thread on BlogHer. My (health) blog is http://www.mykidney.com but my 'I live my life like normal' blog is http://www.krississippi.com

Krissi

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't make lists like this. I make lists of things to do each day, each week, each month in my head, and they are always changing as some things get done and others get pushed off to another day.

Honestly, I always feel "before I die" is implied.

What's funny to me is that I have a novel and a bedspread in progress, too. And I hope to go to Australia, too, among other places.

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you wrote about the things you want to do (in life):

- See the midnight sun again.

Say the word! and i will attempt to get you up to Yellowknife for a long weekend on Aeroplan (will need lots of lead time, you can fly on Canadian North directly Ottawa to YK).

stephen (at the YK RO)

laurie said...

This list was purely stream of consciousness and these were the things that came to mind!
Sara, I am not at all surprised to find that we have those things, and more, in common.
And Stephen - that, my friend, is an extremely tempting offer.

laurie said...

And Welcome Krissi. My oncologist calls cancer a chronic illness, too!

Anonymous said...

And a serious offer!... you performed some excellent services for us up here in the short time that i worked with you.

stephen