Tuesday, February 06, 2007

what price peace?

Today was a chemo day (just chemo, no Herceptin), so I have, of course, spent the evening in bed feeling yucky.

From the upstairs bedroom, I overheard the following, which took place on the ground floor of our house:

D., my three-year old son: "I want to watch Scooby Doo Meets Batman now." (incidentally, this is probably one of the worst videos of all time)

Spouse: "It's dinner time. You can watch some of the video after you've eaten. Come to the table now."

D.: "I want to watch Scooby Doo NOW!!!"

Spouse: "D., you have two choices, you can watch the video after you've eaten your dinner or you can go to your room."

[insert increasingly hysterical repetitions of "I want to watch the video now," until they have crescendoed into a full-fledged tantrum.]

S., my eight year old: "D., if you stop crying, I'll give you a penny."

D.: "OK."

D. came to the table and ate his dinner happily. When he was done, S. gave him a penny.

My spouse and I are fully cognizant of the myriad ways in which this was problematic. But we did think the whole thing was pretty funny. And S. did get his brother to eat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no kids (and so, no parenting chops), so my only thought was,"Well, at least it wasn't a dollar." A penny for peace is pretty good!

Anonymous said...

as long as he thinks a penny is a good reward... is as long as i'd USE it as such. haha ;)

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know, I read your blog almost daily and am still keeping you in my prayers.
My best,
Comrade L

amanda said...

Your older boy is pretty bright! Some of the parents that I work with still use money as a bribe, and they have years of parenting experience.

Your 8-year-old is years ahead of the curve. :)

Chris said...

I wonder if it would work on George Bush. Might cost as much as $20, but you know, I'd go to the instabank for that.

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouth of babes (or older brothers). S is btight, resourceful, and compassionate, knowing that the most important thing is helping his brother get out of the box he was painting himself into. It's not a money bribe so much as a distraction. You're clearly doing something right.

Suzanne