Sunday, November 16, 2008

lest we forget (part two)


My spouse and my ten year old son are reading Maus together right now. So, so hard.


I am glad S. wants to learn this but so sad he has to learn how cruel people can be.

S.: "So they were just allowed to shoot Jews for fun?"

T.: "Jews were not considered human."

S.: "They were treated like vermin."

S. and T. together: "Like mice."

T.: "Not all the Germans felt this way but when your government and all the news and your neighbours are all telling you one thing...People get swept up."

So hard.


1 comment:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

I feel you on this. As I am explaining to my children what racism is and what slavery, jim crow and the word Nigger means.

Trying to explain with dignity and reverence for the past.

Hard stuff...but Jews have a saying that I love...NEVER AGAIN.