Monday, February 19, 2007

the best of intentions

The plan: Risotto, grilled eggplant, salad. All on the table, with the kitchen cleaned up before my spouse got home from work.

The reality: Tastes like risotto (sort of) but has the consistency and colour of wallpaper paste. The eggplant, overly-salted, is inedible. I pour myself a big glass of wine and head upstairs to check my email while my spouse makes the salad. Clean up after dinner. Leave filthy pots for tomorrow.

Oh well. 'Tis better to have cooked and failed than never to have cooked at all. Right?

Tomorrow is a chemo day. I need to promise myself to take another stab at this cooking thing after I've recovered.

5 comments:

Maria said...

I'm going to remember that - tis better to have cooked and failed. Thanks! Good luck this week.

Anonymous said...

Well...at least you didn't make yourself sick or slice your finger...

Anonymous said...

Oh Heck, we've ALL had days like that. And yes, I think hubby sees the effort and applauds at least in his mind/heart. Keep on cookin'.

laurie said...

He did say 'that doesn't look like risotto' and then immediately looked chagrined....

laurie said...

And there was the time when I was making a birthday cake and I dropped the bowl, shattered it, and a piece of glass ripped through my pants and cut my leg. We figure any time I cook without making myself bleed, I've done well.