Friday, November 12, 2010

making an adventure

photo: M. Slavitch

Early Thursday afternoon, as I woke up from a nap (I'd been sleeping off the toxins of chemo), my spouse came down from his attic office with an odd look on his face.

"Are you ready for some news?"

"Is it good news or bad news?" I said, attempting wake up.

"Good news, I think." He was giggling and looked a little stunned.

"Remember when you asked me to nominate you for a makeover at St, Laurent Shopping Centre?"

My eyes widened.

"You're in!"

They he told me that I needed to go to the mall for shopping and consultation and then, on Wednesday, I would be going to /A\ Channel to be made over on the air.

In case you missed that last bit, I'll repeat that this is a TELEVISED MAKEOVER.

"There's more," Tim added as I sat opening and closing my mouth like a fish. "It's a holiday makeover. You know, so that you can be ready for all the holiday parties you go to."

I do not go to any holiday parties where I can't wear jeans and a t-shirt. In fact, that's the smartest thing to wear to most holiday parties I might possibly attend.

"She actually used the word 'sparkly'." My dear spouse was by this point, enjoying himself. "And you have to decide today."

When I read on Twitter that St. Laurent was asking for nominations for cancer survivor makeovers, I impulsively asked T. to submit my name. I was confident that I wouldn't be chosen because I figured they'd want someone who looked more like a cancer patient. And if I were chosen I thought I'd just go to the mall, get made over and then have some pictures taken for their web site.

But I did get chosen. And when I went on Twitter and Facebook and asked my peeps what I should do, the answer was unanimous - "Go for it!"

So I'm going for it.

This is all being organized by the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation and I do want to help draw attention to the good work that they do.

The St. Laurent Centre has some really great stores and I could end up with some great new gear and a fresh new look.

I could use the lift. It is easy to feel frumpy when you're out of the work force and pinching pennies. And chemo does take a physical as well as emotional toll.

And it could be fun.

So I've decided to approach this with an open mind and a spirit of adventure.

I'll let you know how it goes.



12 comments:

Finola said...

I think this is WONDERFUL!
You will be just great :)

Dee said...

I can't wait to see pics! Have fun!!

Andrea Ross said...

Look at that beauty!

You don't need it but I hope you really enjoy it!

Congratulations!

(so the bike, then the makeover, I'd buy a lotto649 if I were you)

Amy B said...

Can I come forward and say that I am so EXCITED because I sent them an email about you too!

Anonymous said...

I hope they don't succeed at making you over, as we love you just as you are. However, new duds, cosmetics, hair style, sounds terrific! Fun!

Please post some pictures!!

B in T

Lene Andersen said...

so? so? so??

How was it?

laurie said...

OMG. Amy!!!! Thanks so much. I am so tickled. And grining widely.

laurie said...

Lene - shopping tomorrow, makeover on Wednesday am. I promise to report in.

nancyspoint said...

Sounds fun, although I do understand your feelings of apprehension too. I don't like to be in the spotlight, but boy a makeover sounds pretty good right about now, although it would be a challenge, too, since I have no hair! Ha. Enjoy the attention and "new look."

Mom2Amara said...

This is the greatest news! I love it! And I can't wait to see the end result! A little glitter won't hurt anyone :) And Laurie, please promise you'll post the *video* not just pics!!

laurie said...

we took lots of pics today. i don't have video but hope to be able to post links to segments of the show. today's part was fun!

Lauren said...

Congratulations. I'm sure you will have a great time with it. Who knows maybe a fancy holiday party will come along for you to show off your new look.

-Lauren (www.breastcancerregistry.org)