Thursday, August 02, 2007

antidote to irritation

So it's really freaking hot outside. It's currently 34C with a humidex of 41C (that, my American friends, is 105.8F).

I am still a little green around the gills from chemo but I had to leave the house for an appointment with my naturopath (and spend another bazillion dollars I don't have on supplements). Afterwards, I decided to drop into a nearby Staples for a memory card for my Palm.

As I was cashing out, the clerk said, "Hi, how are you?"

"Good thanks," I replied as I fished my wallet out of my purse.

"I'm very good. Thanks for asking!" he said snottily.

I was floored. I looked up in shock, with what I'm sure was a pissed off (not chagrined) look on my face.

"I was just kidding," he scolded.

The little twerp.

I went back out into the heat in the most irritated of moods.

"How are you?" is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, when asked in a perfunctory way. I try only to inquire how someone is doing when I have time to listen and to respond in a thoughtful way. The above exchange did not qualify as that kind of social interaction.

And did I mention that it's really, freaking hot outside?

Then, I step off the bus and saw this:

It's one of my crazy sunflowers poking up to greet me over my battered fence.

My irritation evaporated.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

oh i was getting ready to call that staples store to talk to that effin twerp and then... well that sunflower IS so darned sweet aint it. and besides- i'm in the u.s and have no idea which staples you went to.

amaras_mom said...

Your sunflower even made me smile!

But I'm still annoyed by that cashier...I would have had the manager out in a jiffy. What an @ss.

mommyof2galz said...

lol.. It is too hot outside :)