Thursday, December 28, 2006

another one down

Well, we survived (thanks to my bro-in-law, imw, for the photo of our Christmas dinner). There was lots of emotion, laughter, the usual family craziness, a few surprises and an orgy of presents.

In our family, we open our presents to each other on Christmas eve (a variation on the French-Canadian tradition). Santa comes during the night, so there are more presents (for the children) in the morning. We enjoy doing things this way but it makes for a late night for the children AND a very early morning.

We have now settled into the kids-are-home-what's-next phase of the holidays. After all the visitors and presents, this period of relative quiet (no daycare and no school. Sigh) feels a bit like a letdown to the kids and they are going a bit stir-crazy.

I had chemo yesterday, an event that was wonderfully uneventful. It was just the vinorelbine (no herceptin) and the whole process barely took ten minutes. Today, I'm a little green around the gills but nowhere near as sick as I was on the first go 'round. This and the fact that I am in less pain today than I have been in weeks have put me in a very good mood.

The break from pain is incredibly welcome (an understatement, I have newfound compassion for those who live for years with chronic pain) and I am choosing to take this change as a sign that the treatments are working and that my tumours are shrinking.

Thanks to all who wished me happy holidays in the comments and via email. It really meant a lot to me. Thanks especially to Flippy, for the image of me running down the grocery aisle, innoculating oranges. That really made me smile on a hard day.

12 comments:

amanda said...

I am so glad that you are doing well and had such a nice holiday. Keep on keeping on.

Anonymous said...

Laurie~ What a wonderfully cozy pic of you and your family at the table...I loved it! So glad you feel a bit better. You are as always in my regular prayers by name.
I wish you a most blessed New Year!
Comrade L
PS, I lived in "Winterpeg" for about a year and loved it. I witnessed the mass migration of Canada Geese which blew my mind, as it was so incredibly beautiful. I learned with Curling is and went regularly and yes, I quickly picked up using...ey...after each sentence.
Have a good one!

kalen said...

i'm glad the pain is down, and i'm glad your holidays were good.

"just keep swimming..."

happy new year :)

sassymonkey said...

What a festive table!

I've never got how people survive Christmas when they are up that late. I went to a Christmas Eve service for the first time ever this year and slept in until 11am the next day (no kids).

I'm glad you are having a good day.

snuggles said...

What a wonderful family pic. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Christmas was a hoot.
Glad to hear the pain is reduced. Hope to visit with you in the new year!
Thinking of you often.
S.J.

Ali khan said...

Being a syndicate member can come with a significant odds advantage more than ever if the syndicate has a greater quantity of Watch Online Result At Lottery Sambad people participating. Conversely, being a syndicate member also has its negative points.

Ali khan said...

Since last year, Ukrainian lawmakers and public sector workers have had to declare their incomes in an online database, a Lottery Sambad New Reult rule aimed at tackling entrenched corruption.

Ali khan said...

The declarations a year ago shocked Ukrainians, with some officials declaring ownership of hundreds of thousands of dollars in Lottery Sambad Today Result 7.30 pm cash, fleets of luxury cars and large tracts of land.

Ali khan said...

Information from: Eagle Tribune (North Andover, Mass.), website lottery winner disputes attempted shoplifting Lottery Sambad Online Result

Ali khan said...

Put together, it's a backdrop against which both stocks and fixed income can do well. Corporate bonds, which offer a higher rate of Lottery Sambad Online Result return than sovereign debt, can do well also.

Ali khan said...

Massihzadeh, who received $568,900 after taxes, argues that he's entitled to the other two-thirds of the prize because the Lottery Sambad Today Result other tickets were purchased through Tipton's conspiracy and should be invalid.

Ali khan said...

The 29-year-old was bitten while stroking the lion at a game park in Bloemfontein prior to Ospreys' Guinness PRO14 game against the Watch Live Result At Lottery Sambad Cheetahs at the end of last month.