Friday, September 18, 2009

random. out of necessity


I
t's Day 3 After Chemo and my brain is jumping around like a puppy with a burr up her butt. I can't focus on anything for more than a few seconds so here is a little bit of randomness:

One:

It appears that my family and I will be among the first in line for the H1N1 vaccine. My kids will be so thrilled.

Two:

My friend Jeanne, the Assertive Cancer Patient, posted about a reader in Texas who has $187,000 worth of Neupogen that she can't use:
"Texas doesn't have a drug repository that would take this medicine and pass it on to someone who needs it, and she hates to see it go to waste, as do I.

Any ideas, readers?

Obviously, we can't break the law and put this stuff on eBay or Craigslist, so I am looking for legal ways to get these expensive drugs to someone who can use them."

Three:

Yesterday, I got a phone call from the CT booking unit at my local hospital. I was informed that my oncologist had ordered a scan of my abdomen and chest, to be administered within the next couple of weeks.

I had a CT scan on September 4. When I mentioned this to the person who was booking the appointment, she had me call the nurse who works with my oncologist to confirm that they really want me to have another one. The nurse called back today and said that I didn't need to do the abdomen but since it's been a while since they have done the chest, we should go ahead with that.

I called the booking person back and the appointment has been scheduled for this Sunday afternoon at 1:20 (I had to cancel plans). My questions: Why didn't we they just order my chest scan for the same time as my las CT? Or my next one? I have no reason to believe that my doc suspects that there is anything wrong and I bet that if I could talk to him directly he would say that the chest scan can wait until we next do the abdomen. Why should I be subjected to extra radiation, an extra trip to the hospital and an extra session of find-the-vein when we have no reason to believe that there is anything wrong (and while I continue to undergo chemotherapy)?

But it's just not worth fighting about. Sigh.

Four:

Finally, I have another finished object to show. It's a Clapotis. I totally wish this one were for me but it has been promised to someone else. I will definitely add another one to the knitting queue. I made it from Knit Picks yarn (the Gloss Sock Yarn, merino wool and silk). It's lovely stuff (especially after washing) and relatively inexpensive. It also came quickly. I'll definitely order from them again.

These photos don't really do it justice but my son was a very, very good sport about posing for them.


6 comments:

karlien said...

That is a lovely scarf!

Sweet Camden Lass said...

He's such a sport! I must do a Clapotis. ~x~

zoom said...

You're right, having cancer takes a big enough bite out of your time without being compounded by inefficient scheduling.

And that's a lovely clapotis and a very good son.

Thanks for the recommendation on KnitPicks. I've been wondering how they were for Canadian orders.

Mom2Amara said...

Your project is gorgeous! It's funny I went to catch up on blogs today and saw this post because I just told Dad2Amara that when we get back from Florida I want to start a new knitting project...maybe even take a class so I can go beyond my basic scarf. Now I'm sure I want to!

Anonymous said...

kidogroownede, clomid online erronreld, [url=http://www.webjam.com/clomidonline]buy clomid[/url] dutspioto
23

Deependra said...

Aids , Cancer and all other diseases are completely curable by doing just 15 minutes meditation

http://the-comforter.org/How_to_Meditate.html