Thursday, September 17, 2009

frequent flyer


I had chemo on Tuesday. It was kind of a long day (I started with bloodwork at 8:30 and left the hospital at 3:30) which passed quickly due to the company of a really good friend. We had so much to say to each other that we needed the whole day to cover everything (except for when I was sleeping. The demerol/gravol combo really does knock me out).

It would have been an even longer day if I hadn't been on the receiving end of a little preferential treatment. At one point, the nurse who coordinates the chemo floor came out to reception and wrote on the notice board that they were running an hour behind schedule. I happened to be standing nearby and she caught my eye and said to me, in French, "environ" (approximately).

I was surprised, then, when my name was called a few minutes later. I passed the same nurse again, on the way in, and said, "That wasn't an hour."

"We squeezed you onto another team," she replied.

My friend, C. said, "Are you queue jumping?"

I smiled back. "It's the life-time membership."




4 comments:

Brenda said...

Its nice to know they give you some preference. . .how long have you been doing chemo?

laurie said...

I did 6 rounds of the brutal stuff between March and July 2006. Then I did radiation until September 2006. That November, I was diagnosed with the mets and have been doing chemo ever since. I do get the odd break and now I only go every 4 weeks.

nonlineargirl said...

If you are going to go through all this, it is good to have friends in high places.

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog as for me. I'd like to read something more about this topic. Thanks for giving that data.
Joan Stepsen
Cool geeks