Wednesday, August 20, 2008

vindication

One of my least favourite of household chores is the making of school and day camp lunches. It is an entirely thankless task, one in which I often see the results of my efforts returned at the end of the day.

And, ten year old S., in particular, has told me on more than one occasion that the lunches I make are not nearly as good as those of his peers. I am not sure if this is because white bread, sugary drinks and most highly processed treats are off the menu, if his perception is distorted or if my lack of enthusiasm for the task is reflected in the end product.

At any rate, I have not had to pack him a lunch in a while and I haven't missed it.

However, S. has spent the last couple of weeks staying with his Grandma and attending a day camp at the Royal Ontario Museum (an animation camp. They are making movies!). On the first day, Grandma asked S. what she should make him for lunch.

"Mama always makes me a ham and cheese sandwich with butter and a little bit of hot sauce."

Perhaps my efforts have not gone entirely unappreciated after all.


3 comments:

bibliogrrl said...

Oh, that is so sweet.

Made my heart do a little thump in my chest, actually. :D

deb said...

aw, i love your son. and he obviously loves his mama.

Mom2Amara said...

I'm going to the pleasure of making Amara her first lunch ever. And I'm sure Amara won't remember what I've made. Your son appreciates you!