Wednesday, August 27, 2008

eating cake and the 20 second update

I have been out of town for a couple of days, spending time with friends at their cottage. We were four adults, four boys ranging in age from 17 months to 11 years and five dogs of various ages and sizes. It was barely controlled chaos and absolute bliss.

I am home now. In a few minutes I will turn off the computer and go curl up with a good book and a slice of my friend M.'s divine lemon pound cake (it contains an entire cup of butter and six cups of sugar. That's before icing) Perhaps I'll even have a ice cold cider with the cake.

In other news, I have a new post up at MyBreastCancerNetwork.Com, called "The Challenge of the Twenty Second Update."

This past week end, I went to a beautiful wedding with my family. In attendance were relatives I hadn’t seen in many years, lots of people I had never met and one of my favourite teachers from grade school.

I always feel a bit of awkwardness at these kinds of events, as I brace myself for the inevitable questions, “What are you up to these days?” or “What do you do?”

No one wants to drop the c-word at a wedding, least of all me.

You can read the rest of this post here.

I hope you are all enjoying summer's last gasp with your own cold cider and lemon pound cake. Or whatever it is that makes you happy.

4 comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Hey There!

Enjoy that divine cake and cider!

I am glad to know you had a great time...I love weddings!

It is starting to get very cool in the evenings and at night...yes summer in CT is quickly turning into autumn.

Anonymous said...

I hope everything works out for you.And its a sight for sore eyes to see to see someone with cancer to have a nice time. Keep that hope up mate

Dee said...

Hi Laurie,
As for your 20-second update, you could always say something along the lines of:

"I've had some changes in my life that have led me to pursue writing as a career. I really enjoy it!"

You could always add the exciting news that your book will be published next spring. That might lead to questions about what it's about, but you could deflect them by saying, "Why, you'll have to buy it to find out!", said jokingly, of course.

BTW, congrats on seeing it listed on Amazon - how cool is that?

Anonymous said...

Powerful post. I've lived that sort of moment--I did last Saturday with my potter friend Kris. Amazing how much you can know and share through a word and a shared looking in the eyes. Much good comes from it.

And I can't wait to buy your book. You're an author now, and not many people succeed at getting published. Just wait till that first copy is in your hands and it all becomes real. For me, it made up for so many other things I'd had to give up due to lupus; it was just so cool to have succeeded at what I really love doing. Writing and knitting.