Friday, April 20, 2007

ending better than it started


Monday:

Found out someone used my credit card number and forged my signature on a Visa cheque for almost two thousand dollars. The cheque was returned as NSF. Thank goodness we've been spending beyond our means or the fraud might have been successful. As it is, we've had to cancel our credit card and wait for a new one to be sent to us.

Tuesday:
Chemo.

Wednesday:
Appointment with my radiation oncologist.

I was first examined by a medical student, who asked, sounding alarmed, "How long have you had this lump?" I panicked for a moment, then realized she was referring to my Portacath (shouldn't she have known what it was?).

As for the doctor, should a man who is uncomfortable with the words 'bra' and 'prosthesis' really be working as a radiation oncologist with breast cancer patients? He seemed disbelieving when I told him that the treated area on my chest and back is still extremely tender and had no suggestions as to what I could do to ease this discomfort. When I told him that it hurts too much to wear a prosthesis, he said, "Well, you have to wear something in public."

This is the same doctor that objected to the fact that I do not have the same last name as my spouse.

Thank goodness this same spouse was once again in attendance. It was one of those appointments when it was really good to have someone there who knows me well, if only to say afterwards, "You are not crazy."

Thursday:
Booked my plane ticket to Chicago to attend BlogHer '07, thanks to air miles donated by my wonderful brother-in-law.

Nothing contributes to a sense of optimism like making plans a few months in advance. And just thinking about spending a week end with other women bloggers makes my heart beat a little faster.

Friday:
Spring has sprung. I feel quite a bit better. And I finished this:



It's the little blanket that grew, my 'log cabin' from Mason-Dixon Knitting.

It is the most beautiful thing that I have ever made and it makes me happy just to look at it. It's been almost finished for weeks (since our return from the Florida trip where I worked on it in the car, both ways). And it smells good too, since I washed the potato chip smell out of it this afternoon (did I mention that I worked on it on a long car trip?).

Things are definitely looking up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the radiologist. What a turd. Apparently, he missed the patient sensitivity course, as well as a few others. :(

Oooo, BlogHer! I'm jealous. It'll be lots of fun, I'm sure.

Lovely, lovely blanket. I've never really figured out knitting beyond about 1/3 of a scarf. Maybe one day.

Anonymous said...

Uh, my mom has had sensitivity since she had radiation for breast cancer, oh, maybe 15 years ago.

Med student - yikes, scary. Shouldn't it have been obvious?

Nice brother-in-law...I'm glad you'll be going.

Great blanket! I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

Your Log-cabin blanket is incredible! What beautiful work! And great that it doesn't smell like potato chips.

I am always amazed at people who should know better than to say stupid things! I agree - he needs to find another area to work in - like feet maybe.

amanda said...

I didn't know that you were attending BlogHer and also a knitter! Oh lordy...now I'll have to try and get my ass to BlogHer for sure...

Unknown said...

that blanket is so beautiful!!! I'm going out to buy wool at a new store in centretown. I'll report back.

glad the week ended on a brighter note...here's to that continuing.

Anonymous said...

Lucky! Enjoy BlogHer, that sounds like a blast.

And I hate your rad onc. Hate!! What a bonehead. That med student is no great shakes, either. You're much nicer than me: I would have pointed out to her that cancerous lumps rarely feel like a doorbell.

And then! The credit account thief!! Grrrr! If there's bad karma for theft, it should be doubled for theft from you.

Anonymous said...

Laurie~ That blanket you knitted is absolutely beautiful! The log cabin in my very fave pattern in quilts, but to knit the thing is amazing to you...you are one very talented lady!

Sepha said...

'scuse my foul mouth, but *what* a fuck-wit! "You can't not wear a prosthesis?!" Since when did he buy your body, cancer and all, from you?! I actually want to cross the damn Atlantic ocean just to kick him in the shins for you. Total prat!

Also, that blanket is *beautiful* - how long did it take you to knit? I think that project is joining my list of 'to-do's'.

I hope you have a whale of a time at BlogHer - I'd love to go.

laurie said...

Thanks all for the support re my rad onc. The guy is an ass and I make sure that I'm never alone when I see him. It made me feel good to hear you all echo my opinion.

As for the blanket, it is just miles and miles of garter stitch (I started it in January and knit on it on and off. I had all but the corner seams done a month ago) but I do love the colours and am proud of the work.