Thursday, December 04, 2008

two part book meme


I stole this one from Blondie.



Part 1: Nearest Book Meme


"The rules are as follows:

Open the nearest book to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence on that page, and also the next two to five sentences. The CLOSEST BOOK, NOT YOUR FAVORITE, OR MOST INTELLECTUAL!

Okey dokey. Here it is:

"Many puppies find their way to a nipple on their own."


I think that's relatively self-explanatory. It's from "Tibetan Terriers: The Little People." I keep it handy because it's a nice flat book to write on, so it was also the book I used when I did a version of this meme on Facebook. That time it called for the first sentence on the same page, which was about getting the mama dog to eat the placenta. Consider yourselves spared.


Part 2: Seven Weird Book Facts About Me


Well, I don't know if they're weird or not but here are the facts.

1. I have read 61 books this year. So far.

2. The best books I read this year were (in no particular order) are The Book of Negroes (published in the US as Someone Knows My Name) by Lawrence Hill, The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney, The Outlander by Gil Adamson, The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss, Life Mask by Emma Donoghue and Affinity by Sarah Waters. The weird thing is that every one of these books would be classified as historical fiction. I didn't think I liked historical fiction.

3. The first "chapter book" I read was a Bobbsey Twin book.

4. I went on to collect Bobbsey Twin books (I think my parents might still have my collection in their basement). I also liked the Hardy Boys and Trixie Belden.

5. I wasn't allowed to read Nancy Drew. I have no idea why. My parents weren't big on censoring books. The other verboten reading materials were, Harlequin Romances, comic books and The Women's Room by Marilyn French (all of which I read clandestinely).

6. I am way more awed by famous and talented writers than by other celebrities.

7. I am a very heavy user of my local library. I currently have 16 books out and 104 items on my Request List (some of these are on hold, so that they don't all come in at once). On the one hand, this means I have a hard time getting to all the books I own (or have borrowed from friends and family). On the other hand, I keep getting new books to read for "free." It's like going shopping without the dip in my bank account. And if I don't like a book, I can return it. Guilt free.

I deleted the part of the rules where I have to tag a bunch of folks. Do the meme if you want (I especially enjoyed this one). Let me know if you do, though!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait...we can have that many things on the request list? In Toronto I had a limit of 50 so I've been trying not to hit that. This is very, very dangerous information for me to have!

laurie said...

as far as I know, there is no limit!

Blondie said...

Awesome! No Nancy Drew??? Oh good grief. There's a book about her writers called "Girl Sleuth." Fascinating.

I loved loved loved the Bobbsey Twins. Yeah for books. :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

Got here from Blogger Bingo. Although this won't be one of my 'bingo' posts, I feel compelled to admit that I'm re-reading The Women's Room right now. Light summer reading, but occasional hard hits of feminist theory. A weird juxtaposition at the beach, I must say.

Also, glad to 'meet' you through the game. I can tell I'll enjoy following your blog.