Monday, December 01, 2008

meaner than fiction (and short-sighted, too)


According to a recent article in the New York Times, soon-to-be-Ex-President Bush is trying to ram through some changes to the
Code of Federal Regulations before Obama takes office. Some of the new rules, which have the "force of law" in the US, would:

"make it much harder for the government to regulate toxic substances and hazardous chemicals to which workers are exposed on the job;"

"make it easier to build power plants near national parks and wilderness areas;"

"reduce the role of federal wildlife scientists in deciding whether dams, highways and other projects pose a threat to endangered species;"

"allow coal companies to dump rock and dirt from mountaintop mining operations into nearby streams and valleys;"

give "states sweeping authority to charge higher co-payments for doctor’s visits, hospital care and prescription drugs provided to low-income people under Medicaid."

Despicable.

If a fictional President in a novel or movie attempted to do these things in his last days of power, would we find it believable?

5 comments:

Michael said...

The movie was called "Nixon", Laurie.

laurie said...

Just burst out laughing. You are right!

Dee said...

Unfortunately, what Bush is doing is what other Presidents have done as well. I think I saw a news report where Clinton put through over ?1000 kinds of rule changes (don't quote me on that, though) - mostly they were changes I agreed with that had to do with strengthening environmental protections, among others (I think he listed several salmon species to the endangered species list).

I don't agree with the policy, in general. I mean, why wait until you're leaving office to make these changes? It seems that if you really wanted to make a difference, you'd have tried to get legislation passed during your term of office.

I do think there are some recourses available to counteract Bush's actions, but I am not sure of them off the top of my head.

I was disgusted, too, when I read about it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, these presidents are allowed to push through changes like these just before they leave office -- and they often do.

Honestly? I wish there were some law that would prohibit them from doing so. With both parties. There are no checks, no balances with this, and I find it despicable too.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and did you check out some of his pardons? Poor widdle felons couldn't have guns, so he pardoned them so they could go shootin'. Whoo hoo!

Bush is a creepy asshole, who has no concern for people, animals, the economy, or the environment, but he sure did make all of his pals rich while he was president. If Laura wasn't straight out of Madame Tussauds (no apostrophe, like Tim Hortons), I truly wonder how she could live with him.