Sunday, October 07, 2007

out of the mouths

Over dinner the other night, I was trying to figure out with my spouse how I could watch or record my friend Jacqueline, when she appeared on the New York ABC affiliate on Saturday night (I was ultimately unsuccesful, to my great disappointment).

My older son, S., asked why I wanted to watch it: "What if it's just a show with a bunch of women talking about how much they hated getting cancer?"

Me: "No, it's going to be much more than that. The woman who wrote "Cancer Vixen" is going to be on.

S.: "Oh, I know that book!" (he is seriously into graphic novels)

Me: And Jacqueline makes amazing jewelry. She also makes beautiful clothing for women who have lost a breast."

S.:"Cool!"

D., my four old, then piped up: "Mama, you've lost a breast. You should get some of that clothing."


4 comments:

blurdom said...

And he's right!

It was a really good piece on her, on the news program...I especially loved how little bits of her life were in there, like photos of John & a part of the interview where her cat is in the frame or on her lap most of the time.

jacqueline said...

oh my god. do i laugh or cry here? ! i could hardly read this aloud to john because it made me tear up. you are so fabulous!!!! everyone under your roof! i get a dvd of the program so i will send you a copy. when you make that road trip to brooklyn, please tell you'll bring the boyz! (please!) xo.

Anonymous said...

Jacqueline's site makes me want the book; thanks for telling me. She sounds like someone I knew in Brooklyn, years ago. RheaBelle's clothing line is terrific, especially the red number, and her photos are wonderful as well. Good stuff!

B in T

laurie said...

Cancer Vixen was written by Marisa Acocella Marchetto. It's a graphic novel. I own it and have given it to others, as well. I would be happy to lend it to you, B in T.
And, yes, Jacqueline is wonderful.