Tuesday, October 30, 2007

enough for today

I have been struggling a little these last few weeks.

It's around this time last year and the year before that cancer changed my life and I've been finding it hard to shake the grief and anxiety.


But today, I experienced a moment that quite literally took my breath away. I was out walking my dog in the arboretum, pretty much lost in thought when I was taken off guard by a tree, a pond, the sunset and scattered leaves in all my favourite colours. And the thought suddenly came to me, "I am grateful."

Grateful for my kids for bringing me joy, making me laugh and for needing me.

Grateful for my spouse, who is kind and gentle and who loves me even when I am crazy.

Grateful for my dog who gets me out walking.

Grateful for a lovely walk in a beautiful place.

And grateful that I am healthy and fit enough to enjoy it all.

Tomorrow remains uncertain but for today, it is enough to be grateful.

2 comments:

jacqueline said...

You're wonderful.
.
.
.
(that's a bit simplistic in how it looks as words- but I mean it in a much grander way.)

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear that you've found emotions to try to replace the anxiety. Keep up the great, or should I say grateful, thoughts and good luck to you.