Monday, September 30, 2013

my good bad dog: a love story

She makes an excellent, if somewhat smelly pillow.


It's a good thing she's cute.


This is her Hallowe'en costume. It suits her.

She jumps up on visitors and gets into the garbage at least once a week. She ignores most commands, unless she feels like listening and she steals food off the table (one time a fresh baked lemon meringue pie), the moment you turn your back. She'd run into traffic, if she thought there were something interesting on the other side of the street. She hates to get her feet wet but will roll in the mud. She disappears the instant I have a brush in my hand.

But she comes when called (most of the time) and materializes from out of nowhere when I put on my shoes for a walk. She loves me exuberantly and unconditionally. To her, I will always be The Best and Most Important, even when I have lost confidence in myself. She is happy almost every moment of every day and she gets me out the door when I'm feeling unmotivated.

She has the sweetest temperament of any living being and I have watched a child pull her out of a hiding place by her tail, without a whimper or a growl. She'll sit in a lap like a toddler and will fall asleep in my arms, with her head on my shoulder. I call her my Hairy Little Girl and whole host of names too embarrassing to repeat in this space.

She's a balm on my bruised spirit and an undemanding, forgiving companion. She makes me smile and even laugh on the days my heart hurts the most. She reminds me to be happy, to let go of the little things and how much fun it is just to be alive.

She's formally called Amaia Fiesta Lucy Diamond. She's a very good bad dog.


4 comments:

Sue Breen said...

you know what I am going to say already, but thank Dog we have them! I needed this post tonight. Love, blessings and hugs to Miss Lucy the Good Bad Dog xoxoxo

Lene Andersen said...

She's adorable. Love her face and her spirit.

TT said...

I love it! I too have a dog that can drive me crazy but then just looks at me a certain way and all troubles disappear.

Unknown said...

I love this! It reminds me of how much I love my step-dog, KC. What a great companion you have in Lucy. She seems to have a good sense of humour, too ;)