Friday, February 22, 2013

it's all about fit

Yesterday, I met with a cancer coach at the survivorship centre

My stated goal was to improve my health and prognosis by eating well and exercising more consistently. I shouldn't have been surprised that I was matched with a nutritionist but I groaned inwardly when my coach filled me in on her background.

Two years ago, I met with a nutritionist weekly for nearly a year and I learned a few things but mostly I paid a lot of money to feel bad about myself. Someone else might have really liked the woman I worked with but I found her judgmental (for example, not only did she not drink alcohol, she could not understand anyone who did, even a little) and extreme (her idea of a treat was to have one square of very dark chocolate, once a week). Under her smug judgmental gaze, I felt like a complete failure. 

The implicit message was that if you can't do it all, you might as well not try (that may not have been her message but it was how I felt). I stopped seeing her, feeling that I'd accomplished very little.

The cancer coach I met with yesterday was very moderate in her approach. She actually said, "everything in moderation, including moderation."

I think I love her.

After she'd told me about the centre and the programs available to me, we talked about food and eating and self-care for more than an hour. I left with information and a feeling happy and good about myself.

I see her again in two weeks.


Nancy's Point said...

Hi Laurie,
This new cancer coach sounds so much better. No wonder you love her! Who needs someone who makes you feel like a failure? No one, that's who.

I relate to this so much. A couple weeks ago I started the Livestrong program at the YMCA. The trainers are compassionate, competent, knowledgeable and most importantly
- non-judgmental and encouraging.

I'm a big believer in moderation too. Good luck with things. Keep us posted.

deb said...

That's great news, Laurie. I loved my nutritionist, I think, in large part because she looked healthy but not in an over-achieving sort of way. She looked like I thought I could look.

when I looked around her office, she had food I eat on her shelf!

Judgement has no place in the advice health care professional their eyes or in their behaviour to their clients.

Glad you found a great fit!

laurie said...

You're both so right! I don't know why I can't see these things for myself while I'm in them!

Blondie said...

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better and have a found a group that can be supportive in a helpful way. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and am sending you BIG HUGS! XXOO

Beth Gainer said...

Hey Laurie,

I like this new cancer coach and the "moderate" philosophy. Excess of anything isn't good. I'm glad you found the right fit.