Friday, October 31, 2014

just under the wire

It's the very last day of "breast cancer awareness" month and I have a post up at Mom 2.0 Summit, "Pinkwashing won't cure breast cancer":

"I care about bringing an end to breast cancer. As someone who has lived with the illness since first being diagnosed in 2006, I care very much. However, I don’t think buying fried chicken in a pink bucket or a pink screwdriver is going to change very much at all."




“Women with metastatic breast cancer never really fit in with others in the breast cancer community. To those who finish treatment, embrace the word “survivor," talk about “winning their battle" and never looking back, we represent the worst that can happen. Who wouldn't want to believe that if you stay strong through treatment, stay positive and do everything right, you will get to leave cancer behind?”

I hate pink ribbons and pinktober for a whole host of reasons that I realize I can now rattle off in a two minute rant. Ask me some time. It could be my new party trick.


3 comments:

Tatiana said...

Hello, I also have metastasic breast cancer for almost two years. Now I am NED, my treatment is femara and denosumab.
I wish the better thing you.

Tatiana.

Beth L. Gainer said...

Nice post. I'm glad Breast Cancer Awareness Month is over, and that's a sad thing because October is a beautiful month where I live.

Keep writing. The universe needs your voice.

laurie said...

Tatiana, wishing you many, many NED scans in the future.

Thanks so much, Beth. Your kind words mean a great deal to me. And I know what you mean about October. Early fall is my favourite time of year. The colours are glorious and the weather is perfect. On the positive side, it serves as a wonderful distraction from all the pink!