Thursday, June 16, 2011

not so jaded after all

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my oncologist, the first since our decision that I should take a break from chemo and do Herceptin only for three months.

I usually do my appointments over the phone but I decided to go into the cancer centre so that I could have a physical exam and meet with him face to face. Also, I wanted Tim to come with me, so that he would get the same info as I did first hand and have a chance to ask questions.

One of the great things about doing appointments on the phone is that I can carry on with my life around the house as I wait for my call. I was reminded of this after waiting first in the waiting area and then in the exam room for nearly an hour.

But it was worth it.

The first person I met was the nurse who works with my oncologist. It was the first time we met face to face. After checking me in, she hesitated for a moment, then looked me right in the eyes and said, "I read the article you wrote for the CBCN newsletter (after the conference I attended last fall). It was wonderful. You are very inspiring."

I hope that I sounded as pleased as I felt when I thanked her. It always means a lot to me when someone is moved by my writing but to hear that a nurse who hears all kinds of stories every day was inspired by me...I was floored.

3 comments:

Lene Andersen said...

that's awesome! And you deserve it.

Dee said...

Well, Laurie, Fter I found your blog, I kept reading it because you inspired me. And still do. I am very glad to be in touch with you!

laurie said...

Thanks so much to you both. xo